Helping Hoosier children and families transition smoothly between early learning settings and kindergarten classrooms is an essential role of both the early childhood education community and K-12 providers. Too frequently, disconnects between these two groups has left children and families with the primary burden of navigating this transition alone.
Through the Federal Preschool Development Grant, Indiana is hosting a prize competition to identify promising practices for supporting effective transitions of children to kindergarten that could be shared and replicated across the state. Groups eligible to apply include: Indiana K-12 school districts, early learning providers and other non-profit community groups.
Submissions should be replicable and demonstrate how current practices achieve one or more of the following:
- Drive community awareness and support for kindergarten readiness and transitions
- Offer meaningful experiences that help prepare children for the transition to kindergarten
- Engage and educate families to support kindergarten transitions
- Create a means for sharing student information or assessment data between pre-K and kindergarten programs
- Establish policies and procedures for transitioning children with IEPs
- Provide opportunities for pre-K and kindergarten teachers and administrators to collaborate, strategize and plan for kindergarten transitions
Submissions will be evaluated on:
Competition closes August 26, 2019 at 5 pm EDT.